Matthew 9:35-38 – Then Jesus went about all the cities and villages teaching in their synagoes, preaching the gospel of the kingdom and healing sickness and every disease among the people. But when He saw the multitudes, He was moved with compassion for them, because they were weary and scattered, like sheep having no shepherd. Then He said to His disciples, ‘The harvest truly is plentiful, but the laborers are few. Therefore, pray the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into His harvest.
Today, I pray to you as the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into your harvest. I ask that you send out workers to the body; to our communities, nations and our world as your field. Father God help us as followers of Christ to become people moved with compassion, like the way Christ was when he saw the crowd; for us to be moved with compassion for our communities, nations, world and ultimately, the church. Father, I am asking you to affirm and establish workers; who you have sent to the four corners of this world to tend to your sheep. That they (your sheep) will no longer be weary or scattered; that they (your sheep) will no longer be confused or helpless. That we (your workers) will be lights to the world around us that you may be glorified, illuminating every dark area. Father God, send us, strengthen us and multiply the number of workers on your field that you may reap the harvest.
- Ezekiel 34:1-5 – And the word of the Lord came to me, saying “Son of man, prophesy against the shepherds of Isreal, prophesy and say to them, ‘Thus says the Lord God to the shepherds: “Woe to the shepherds of Isreal who feed themselves! Should not the shepherds feed the flocks? You eat the fat and clothe yourselves with the wool; you slaughter the fatlings, but you do not feed the flock. The weak you have not strengthend, nor have you healed those who were sick, nor bound up the broken, nor the brought back what was driven away, nor sought what was lost; but with force and cruelty you have ruled them. So they were scattered because there was no shepherd; and they became food for all the beasts of the field when they were scattered.
- Zechariah 10: 2 – People consult idols and fortune tellers, but the answers they get are lies and nonsense. Some interpret dreams but only mislead you; the comfort they give is useless. So, the people wander about like lost sheep. They are in trouble because they have no leader.
- Numbers 27:17 – who may go out before them and go in before them, who may lead them out and bring them and go in before them, who may lead them out and bring them in that the congregation of the Lord may not be like sheep which have no shepherd.
- Luke 10:2 – Then He said to them, ‘The harvest truly is great, but the laborers are few; therefore, pray the Lord of the harvest to send to send our laborers into His harvest.
- John 4:35 – Do you not say ‘there are still four months and then comes the harvest? Listen to what I am telling you: open your eyes and look at the fields, for they are ready for harvest.
- Matthew 28:18-20 – And Jesus came and spoke to them saying, ‘All authority has been given to Me in Heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptising them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the are’, amen.
- Ephesian 4:11, 12 – and he Himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists and some pastors and teachers, for the equipping of the saints for the work of ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ.
- 2 Thessalonians 3:1 – Finally brethren, pray for us that the word of the Lord may run swiftly and be glorified, just as it is with you.